Wednesday 11 May 2016

'Black & Grey Brogues'






Brogues (Black & Grey)’ is a limited edition, hand made, original lino relief print.

I love Brogues and have many pairs of the shoes myself.  I love their patterns and their androgynous style. I find myself drawn to the intricate detail time and time again.

This is a limited edition of 10 prints in black and dark grey inks. Each print has the edition number (ie 1/10), the title and my signature.

Paper size is approximately 34.5 x 49.5cm, and the printed image is approximately 20 x 30cm.

This artwork is printed on high quality white Fabriano Rosapina paper (60% cotton rag content), and is printed with professional water based Graphic Chemical Company inks.

This is a ‘multi block’ lino print; a technique where more than one lino block is used to create a final artwork. In this artwork two separate lino blocks of identical size were used to create the final image. The first layer of ink printed is the background grey colour. On top of the grey layer the final layer of the brogue shoes printed in black ink. Due to this printing technique, slight variations on the alignment sometimes occur, which add to the beauty of this process in my opinion.

I created the original drawing by hand then the print was created by carefully hand carving the design onto the surface of the lino blocks. After the carving is complete, I hand mix and roll the ink onto the surface of the lino block. Using my printing press in my studio at home, prints are made by placing the printmaking paper on top of the inked lino block and this ‘sandwich’ is hand pulled through the press to create the print.

No comments:

Post a Comment