Thursday 4 April 2013

COLLABORATION FACES BY CHRIS & GILLIAN NIX



I'm back blogging a little as I kind of forgot to post these here earlier.  This submission was part of the 'ART CLUB/AROUND THE KITCHEN TABLE' project, for the month which was 'Collaboration', and I created the collaboration with my lovely husband, Chris!

Hope you like them....
We got the idea for this project after seeing some online images from an exhibition called 'The Rituals', including the work of Melbourne based artist/designer Beci Orpin.  

We completely ripped off their idea of each artist having to make an image centred around the eyes.  We began our process by finding a head template (see below) and we both came up with a design for our own 'face'.  

Chris's face is a development of one of his characters - he has tonnes of them doodled in sketchbooks and on scrap bits of paper.  I'm a little bit obsessed with patterns at the moment, and this particular pattern is one from a mug that I have at home, and is an 'Octopus' pattern someone told me once.  I don't know for sure, but I like it.

Inking up...

We used a different print press than normal.  This one is a bit like a spongey sandwich toaster and you squeeze the lino and paper together for an even print.

"SQEEEEZE!"

The magic reveal...








"SQUEEEZE.....!"



I wasn't very happy with the alignment, ha ha!

We tried a few different colour variations...



All the prints lined up and drying...

Our favourite print...

The original templates that we used to create our faces...

No comments:

Post a Comment