Saturday 19 January 2013

Buttons Galore!

A few years ago my dad gave me a big box of buttons.  He used to have his blacksmith workshop in a skip yard in Scotland and every so often a skip full of random stuff would come into the yard.  Sometimes it would be a skip from a house clearance, perhaps after someone has died or moved house, or sometimes from shops.  One year all our family got Calvin Klein perfume for Christmas after dad found a massive pile of the stuff in a skip! The boxes had been damaged so the shop couldn't sell them.  Bonus for us!  Anyway, back to the point....the box of buttons.  I've had this box for years now and I shipped it to Australia with us because I knew it was too good to throw out.  This week I decided to start sorting through it and sort the buttons into colours.  Not only were there buttons, there were all sorts of habidashery and little clues about the previous owner.  I found an envelop addressed to 'Mr I Kilgour' and a fabric name tag which reads 'Margaret Kilgour'.  The envelope has an Edinburgh address and a post mark date of 1989.

I suppose some people might think it a bit mean to be going through someone else's belongings in such a way, but I don't.  These treasures would have been thrown to land fill if dad hadn't found them and passed them on to me.  I love thinking about the Kilgours and about the amount of years that they had been collecting these buttons.  There are some very old looking ones in here....


There was a great cigar box (pictured here) which had test tubes of different coloured buttons inside it...


White buttons are by far the most popular colour...






Quite a lot of the buttons are still attached to the original packaging material...


The name tag...


The postage mark reads 'EDINBURGH 9AM, 31 MCH 1989'...



I sorted the buttons into colours and put them into glass jars for display...





No comments:

Post a Comment